Guitar Initiative Workshop Schedule Fall 2019
Post date: Sep 25, 2015 9:06:57 PM
Here are the dates and times for the free Guitar Initiative workshops for the
FALL SEMESTER 2019:
Tuesdays, 4:45pm - 6:30pm, Bellaire High School, Room 263
Aug. 20, 27
Sep. 3, 10, 17, 24
Oct. 1, 8, 15, 22, 29
Nov. 5, 12, 19
Dec. (by appointment)
Major local guitar education events:
HISD All-City Secondary School Guitar Festival, Date: Mar 28, 2019, 8:30am - 3:00pm, FREE, Bellaire HS
Bellaire HS Guitar Fesitval, May 2020. Evening concerts of beginning classes, start at 6:30pm, Bellaire HS Auditorium, FREE
Bellaire HS Guitar Fesitval, May 2020. Evening concert of advanced classes, start at 6:30pm, Bellaire HS Auditorium, FREE
Bellaire HS Guitar Fesitval, May 2020. CLASS CONCERTS. Day time concerts each period, 8:30am - 2:15pm, Bellaire HS Auditorium, FREE
The Summer Guitar Conservatory, June 8-11, 2020 -- Pershing Middle School, FREE for the student,
Questions you may have:
1) Can I bring my children? Yes. They can participate in the guitar class (a great chance to work with new beginning students),
or they can work on homework.
2) Should I bring a guitar? Only if you want to bring yours. We have a class set of full-sized guitars for us to use. If you have children that will
participate in the class, ages 6 to 13, you may want to bring a 1/2- or 3/4–size guitar for them. We will teach classical guitar (right hand fingerstyle)
technique on nylon-stringed guitars.
3) Do I need to know how to play guitar? No! We will be presenting the GuitarCurriculum.com system. It does NOT require the teacher to
play the classical guitar. We will spend time every week learning basic techniques, and learning how to teach these techniques to new
beginner students. Our goal is to make sure you will always be several steps ahead of your student.
4) Do I need to be a music teacher? Not necessarily. Ideally you are familiar with how to teach note-reading, rhythms and how to conduct an
ensemble (with or without a baton), but even without all this, as long as you have had some musical training, you are welcome to attend.
Special instruction is available to prepare you for the music content test for TEA, if you wish to add Music K-12 to your current Texas
5) Can I add guitar to my existing program? Yes. We will discuss how to obtain instruments and the necessary accessories you will need for
your specific situation. As of now, we are beginning a fundraiser for this project, but ideally your school (or you personally) would help
6) Where do I park? You may park in the faculty parking lot entrance on S. Rice. Bellaire H.S. is located on S. Rice and Maple.
(2 blocks north of Beechnut in Bellaire). The only available parking may be on S. Rice after all buses have departed the school.
The school's address is: 5100 Maple St., Bellaire, TX 77401
7) Do I need to check in at the main office? Not if you have a HISD badge. Adults (18 and over) that are not HISD employees
should check in at the main office before going to the classroom.
8) Other questions? Call or email - 832-693-8345, firstname.lastname@example.org